The evidence is still clear in Week 4 of the college football season. There was a great deal of talent in UAB's program.
Jordan Howard is the main catalyst behind Indiana's 4-0 start to the season, as he rushed for 168 more yards and a touchdown on 33 carries. The Hoosiers knocked off Wake Forest 31-24 in Winston-Salem after going ahead by 21 points early in the fourth quarter. Howard continues to lead the nation in rushing at 675 yards and is continuing the growth he showed in first two years at UAB. He is on pace to rush for over 2,000 yards this season, as the Hoosiers take on top-ranked Ohio State next week.
South Alabama did not fare well against NC State on Saturday, falling 63-13. Cody Clements completed just 14-of-33 passes for 201 yards, a touchdown, and two interceptions. D.J. Vinson led the Jaguars with 57 yards on three catches. Gerald Everett caught the lone scoring throw and finished with 27 yards. Josh Magee made just a single catch that lost two yards.
Western Kentucky's T.J. McCollum continues to be one of the most productive players on the Hilltopper defense, as he tied for the team lead with seven tackles in the team's 56-14 win over Miami (Ohio). He racked up three tackles for loss -- one of them a sack. According to Zach Greenwell of the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News, McCollum leads the team with 34 tackles on the season.
Jeremiah Briscoe was on top of his game in Sam Houston State's 63-14 win over Houston Baptist. He completed 13-of-16 throws for 225 yards and three touchdowns. Briscoe and Jared Johnson are still splitting snaps for the Bearkats, but neither did anything to diminish his stock. Briscoe threw two of his touchdowns in the final five minutes of the first half, breaking open a tie game.
Some other notes for the former Blazers:
- Cameron Blankenship (USA), Hayden Naumann (Samford), Victor Salako (Oklahoma St.), Daniel Anousheh (Coastal Car.), and Roscoe Byrd (Georgia Southern) started for their respective teams along the offensive line.
- Darius Powell had six catches for 93 yards as Delta State's top receiver in a 40-0 win over Albany State.
- Collin Lisa caught four passes for 51 yards and a touchdown for Buffalo.
- Austin Brown more than doubled his previous season-high of pass attempts, as he went 17-of-29 passing for 183 yards and a pair of interceptions in Charleston Southern's 33-20 victory over The Citadel.
- Jake Ganus recorded three tackles in Georgia's easy win over Southern.
- Rolan Milligan returned an interception for a touchdown for Toledo, along with making two tackles.
- Jose Casanova had two tackles and Derek Slaughter made one in Samford's loss to Louisville.
- Joseph Roberts made three tackles and was credited with a QB hurry in Jacksonville State's narrow win over UT Martin.
- Desman Carter had four tackles for Montana State, Robert Mondie registered two stops for Arkansas State, Kelton Brackett had one tackle in UMass' loss to Notre Dame, and Kalen Jackson started in the secondary and made two tackles for South Alabama.
Follow Kyle on Twitter @KyleParmley.