Another week goes by, and former UAB players have settled in to consistent roles with their new programs and teams.
The Battle for the Belt between South Alabama and Troy was littered with former UAB players. For the Jaguars, Cody Clements, D.J. Vinson, Gerald Everett, and Cameron Blankenship all started the game.
Clements threw two touchdown passes while completing 11-of-21 passes for 205 yards. Both of those scoring passes were in the first half to Everett, the second putting USA ahead 21-8. Everett finished the game with five grabs for 45 yards.
Josh Magee was by far the leading receiver in the game, going for 118 yards on three receptions.
On the defensive side, Kalen Jackson put together a monster performance. He was second on the team with six tackles, two of them for loss. He also picked off two passes, and scored on an apparent fumble recovery, but the play was ruled an incomplete pass. Troy's LaMarcus Farmer registered two tackles of his own.
"I didn't realize how big this game was," said Jackson, according to Mike Herndon of al.com. "It was a hostile environment, the crowd was loud and this was a great success to come here and get this W."
Jordan Howard rushed 14 times for 30 yards in Indiana's battle with top-ranked Ohio State, but he battled a left ankle injury and did not play for much of the second half. The Hoosiers made things interesting, keeping the game close all afternoon before falling 34-27.
Other notable performances include:
- T.J. McCollum and Jontavius Morris both started for Western Kentucky in a blowout win over Rice. McCollum made seven tackles, 1.5 for loss, and picked up a sack. Morris recovered a fumble in the game.
- Jake Ganus recorded ten tackles and assisted on a tackle for loss for Georgia in its 38-10 loss to Alabama. Ganus also recovered a fumble.
- Jeremiah Briscoe did not the start the game but got the bulk of the throws for Sam Houston State in its 34-28 win over Stephen F. Austin. Briscoe was 12-of-19 passing for 198 yards.
- Desman Carter had six tackles for Montana State in a 49-41 loss to NAU.
- Jamari Staples saw his first game action for Louisville, and caught two passes for 22 yards.
- Victor Salako (Oklahoma State), Daniel Anousheh (Coastal Carolina), and Roscoe Byrd (Georgia Southern) started along the offensive line for their teams.
- Alonzo McGee had seven tackles and three for a loss for Georgia State. Bobby Baker also started and picked up two tackles.
- Collin Lisa had four catches for 52 yards for Buffalo.
- Joseph Roberts picked up two tackles, and assisted on a tackle for loss and a sack for Jacksonville State.
- Joshua Smith made four tackles and assisted on a tackle for loss for Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Scottie Peace added a tackle.
- David Norris made three tackles for Richmond. Kelton Brackett had two tackles for UMass.
Did I miss anyone? Is there anything else you'd like to know about the former Blazers? Follow me on Twitter @KyleParmley and let me know.