Appalachian State has officially released their 2017 football schedule and the Apps look ready to make a case for a New Year’s 6 Bowl. They avoid two very key Sun Belt opponents which only helps the Mountaineers chances to claim another Sun Belt title come November. Let’s take a look at the schedule for 2017.
September 2nd - @ Georgia
September 9th - Vs Savannah State
September 16th - @ Texas State*
September 23rd - Vs Wake Forest
September 30th - BYE
October 7th - Vs New Mexico State* (Homecoming)
October 14th - @ Idaho*
October 21st - Vs Coastal Carolina*
October 28th - @ UMASS
November 4th - @ ULM*
November 9th (Thurs) - Vs Georgia Southern*
November 18th - BYE
November 25th - @ Georgia State*
December 2nd - Vs Louisiana-Lafayette*
- Appalachian avoids Troy and Arkansas State in 2017 which means ASU has to feel good about the possibility of running the table in Sun Belt play.
- ASU draws Idaho once again. App has played Idaho every season since becoming a full-fledged Sun Belt member, although this will probably be the last time the two schools play as Idaho will drop to FCS after this upcoming season.
- The fourth non-conference game against UMASS comes later in the year right in the thick of Sun Belt play. This game is a rematch of the 2006 FCS title game (Gotta love this).
Three Key Games
- September 2nd @ Georgia - Once again Appalachian State opens up the year on the road, this time in Athens. App will look to finish the job they started at “Rocky Top” a season ago. Now very few people are going to believe App keeps this game close but never count the Apps out because they can scare the life out of a Power 5 opponent and any point, even in some cases cost them a chance at a national title (i.e Michigan 2007).
- September 23rd Vs Wake Forest - For the second year in a row an ACC school will visit Kidd Brewer Stadium. Last year it was the Miami Hurricanes and they flexed their muscle and won 45-10. This year the Demon Deacons from Winston-Salem make the trip up Highway 421 to take on the Mountaineers. The two teams have not played since 2001 (Wake won 20-10), Wake also leads the all time series 14-7-1. This will be one of the best home games of the year as App has a chance to take down an ACC school at home and Wake will bring a great crowd from nearby Winston-Salem.
- November 9th Vs Georgia Southern - You want the formula for a key game in college football? It’s simple: Primetime Kickoff + National TV + November + Rival=Key Game. That is exactly what ASU gets when rival Georgia Southern makes their way to Boone on a sure to be cold Thursday night. Anytime App and Southern get together it’s sure to be fun as the clubs’ battles date back to the SoCon days. No matter what the record of either team is this is always a key game for Mountaineer and Eagle fans.
2017 looks to be an exciting year for Appalachian State. A possible upset of Georgia could lead to a running of the table for App and place them in play for a NY6 Bowl come January. A Sun Belt title is going be a big expectation but App does catch a break by not having to play Arkansas State and Troy. We will have to see what happens come September. Only six months and counting!