- There’s a lot to like about how UTSA has played the last few weeks. However, much of the national media latched on to the anecdote of Jeff Traylor getting his finger stuck in a rat trap after doing a whole “don’t eat the cheese” thing with his players. Here’s that story.
- By their own admission, #22 Tulane did not play particularly well in the second half of their win over North Texas this weekend. Nola.com did a story about what the players had to say about it.
- Western Kentucky lost to Jacksonville State this weekend. It was a significant hit to their CUSA title hopes. The guys at The Towel Rack graded the loss by position, and more.
- Jacksonville State’s football matchup with South Carolina has a time and channel now. The Southeastern Conference announced the Nov. 4 matchup will be at 11 a.m. CT/12 p.m. ET. The game will air on ESPNU.
- Coastal Carolina veteran quarterback Grayson McCall took a particularly hard hit to the head while sliding in their Week Eight win over Arkansas State. He was carted off the field and transported to a local medical facility. He was “alert and conscious with movement in all his extremities” per a release from Coastal Carolina.
Grayson McCall got absolutely leveled and that Arkansas St player not getting ejected is absolutely insane pic.twitter.com/ppN8PP5nl3— Phil (@ImPhxlly) October 22, 2023
During Monday’s Sun Belt Coaches media availability, Coastal Carolina head coach Tim Beck described McCall’s status as “doubtful” for their contest this week against Marshall. Beck also stated that McCall did not “medically” have a concussion.
- This weekend’s matchup between Texas State and Troy essentially determines who’s in the driver seat in the Sun Belt West. The winner also gets bowl eligibility. Both teams, their fans, and their administrations are taking this one incredibly seriously.