With National Signing Day in the books, it’s time to look forward to next season. Houston’s 2019 football schedule released today, and it turned out well for the Cougars.
Aug. 31 at Oklahoma
Sept. 7 Prairie View A&M
Sept. 13 vs. Washington State (NRG Stadium)
Sept. 19 at Tulane
Sept. 28 at North Texas
Oct. 12 Cincinnati
Oct. 19 at UConn
Oct. 24 SMU
Nov. 2 at UCF
Nov. 16 Memphis
Nov. 23 at Tulsa
Nov. 30 Navy
- Everyone’s already circled the game against Oklahoma. Last time they met, Houston pulled off the upset in NRG Stadium. The Sooners will be debuting a new quarterback for the second consecutive year now that Kyler Murray is going pro.
- The games against Washington State and North Texas are split up, but the Tulane game won’t be easy. The other Cougars made it into the Top 10 last year, and North Texas is one of the hottest Group of 5 teams.
- A road trip to UCF and hosting Memphis will be a difficult stretch as well.
- Defense will be vital as expected, especially with the number of explosive offenses Houston faces in 2019. The offense should put up points once again, and it will be up to the defense to determine their success.
- EARLY PREDICTION: 8-4. With the defensive struggles, Houston might struggle to get eight wins.
Houston has a favorable schedule in 2019 considering who they have to play. Oklahoma, Washington State, and North Texas all provide formidable opponents in nonconference play. Those games will show us how good this team will be next year. For now, we wait until spring practice begins, and hopefully new consistent starters emerge (especially on defense).