Opening kickoff is quickly approaching, which means we need to continue on with our position previews! We will now take a look at the linebacker position, which lost it’s leading tackler from a year ago.
Got an opinion on how each position will do? Comment or message us on Twitter, we’d love to hear from you!
Just like the defensive line, the linebackers only lose one member from last season’s squad. Unfortunately, that member is a big one.
Dalton Herrington, the team leader in tackles (134, 9.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 6 pass break ups and 1 interception) graduated after last season leaving one open spot in the D.
Despite the loss of the top tackler, the Aggies return basically everyone (all with starting experience), this includes:
- Terrill Hanks (111 tackles, 7 sacks, 8 tackles for loss, 6 pass break ups, 2 interceptions)
- Lui Fa’amasino (63 tackles, 1⁄2 sack, four tackles for loss)
- Javahn Fergurson (56 tackles, two sacks, two and a half tackles for loss, one pass break up)
- Leon McQuaker (42 tackles, three sacks, 3 1⁄2 tackles for loss, one interception)
- Shane Jackson (25 tackles, two tackles for loss)
- Jonathan Hood (10 tackles)
- Billy Nipp (seven tackles)
The Aggies also bring in a few newcomers to help round out the depth chart in Lautoa Nomura (JUCO) and Devin Richardson (freshman).
Losing the leading tackler hurts but the Aggies have plenty of talent returning, all with more experience than a year ago and the benefit of bowl practices.
This unit should be even better in 2018.