Our offensive previews are complete! Now it’s time to take a look at the defense, starting with the D-line.
As always, make sure to comment your thoughts on each position group! I want to hear from you!
The Aggies are fortunate that their only loss on the defensive line from a year ago is DE Stody Bradley who tallied 16 tackles, 1.5 sacks and one pass breakup.
That means a lot of talent returns.
Last year, the defense allowed 166 yards rushing per game (best since ‘06) and set an NMSU record with 43 sacks. Returning from the dominating defensive line is:
- Malik Demby (47 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 4.5 tackles for loss)
- Roy Lopez (39 tackles, two sacks, Sun Belt Honorable Mention)
- Deshawnte Lloyd (16 tackles, one tackle for loss)
- Cedric Wilcots II (29 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 3.5 tackles for loss, three pass breakups, three forced fumbles, 1st team All-Sun Belt)
- Myles Vigne (27 tackles, two tackles for loss)
- Jassavia Reese (15 tackles)
- Derek Ibekwe (medical redshirt in 2017, played in two games)
Despite all of that talent and experience, the coaches were still able to go out and get plenty of great young freshman to come in and compete this fall. Some of the new guys include:
- Lautoa Nomura
- Donovan King
- Arnold Saidov
- Dorian Vega
- Justin Segura
- John Graves III
- Kai Golden
- Mike Edwards
I’m extremely excited for this group heading into the season. They will be deep and dripping with talent. Personally, I think the freshman in this group have a very high ceiling and should be able to keep the pressure on opposing quarterbacks high while keeping rush numbers low.
Definite upgrade. Any time there is a group like this with a lot of experience, it’s great. Any time you can have a group like this AND bring in a lot of talent? Even better.
I’ll be keeping my eye on this group and am excited to see them this fall!