With the 2018 college season looming only two months away, let’s take a look at what has been happening with the Ragin’ Cajuns this offseason.
Two Cajun defensive backs were selected during the draft this year. In the 3rd round, the Detroit Lions selected safety Tracy Walker. In the 6th round, the Cleveland Browns selected cornerback and free safety Simeon Thomas. It’s the first time since 2012 that two Ragin’ Cajun players were drafted (Dwight Bentley and Ladarius Green).
Preseason All SBC Team Members
There were 9 Cajuns selected to 10 spots by Athlon Sports for the 2018 season:
- 1st team: Trey Ragas (RB), Kevin Dotson (OL), Joe Dillon (DE)
- 2nd team: No players selected
- 3rd team: Ryheem Malone (WR), Chase Rogers (TE), Robert Hunt (OL), Raymond Calais (Specialist)
- 4th team: Ryheem Malone (Specialist), Keenan Barnes (WR), Stevie Artigue (K)
The Ragin’ Cajuns have announced two game times for the 2018 season:
- Game one: Home game vs. Grambling State on Saturday, 9/1 @ 6pm CT
- Game two: Away game vs. Mississippi State on Saturday, 9/15 @ 6:30pm CT
The team has also added games against McNeese State for the 2020 season and a home-and-home series with Rice for the 2022 and 2025 seasons.
There are some major questions that need to be answered on both sides of the ball for the 2018 season. Some new players are poised to step into major roles and that could be complimented well by the entirely new coaching staff. The first half of the season sees nearly an even split between winnable games and potential headaches, so Billy Napier’s team will be appropriately tested in the early going.