For months Georgia State knew who they would play in 2018. Today, the Panthers finally got the word on when they will play them, as the Sun Belt has released the 2018 football schedule.
@GeorgiaStateFB starts the season with two non-conference road contests, followed by two midweek conference games in October on ESPNU. The Panthers will close out the season at home against in-state rival, Georgia Southern. #FunBelt pic.twitter.com/mmZ6IUluXV— #FunBelt (@SunBelt) February 27, 2018
- As you can see from the tweet above, the Panthers will play two midweek games this year. Last year the Panthers also played two midweek games, beating South Alabama but losing the season opener to Tennessee State.
- Shawn Elliott has the luxury of having a bye week in the middle of the season as it’ll take place right after the sixth game of the year, a road trip to Troy. The Panthers will have two weeks to prepare for Sun Belt West favorite Arkansas State.
- Having to play arguably the two best teams in the Sun Belt on the road is tough, but at least you have a bye week between them.
- Unfortunately, GSU must also play the third best team on the road too, as they head to Boone to play App State in November which is guaranteed to be a bit chilly.
- The Sun Belt decided to have State vs Southern take place during rivalry week. Good call.
- After going 1-4 at Turner Field last year, the Panthers should reverse that trend this year. Kennesaw State, Western Michigan, ULM, Coastal Carolina, Texas State, and Georgia Southern all visit Atlanta. A 6-0 season at home isn’t out of the question, and given how tough the road slate is, this may be the only route to a second bowl game.