As some of you may know, typically we use this article to figure out what we learned about Conference USA after the previous week’s action. After Week 9 I didn’t really feel like we learned anything new. Rather than repeat previously mentioned storylines, I thought it would be cool to follow up on an idea from one of our readers.
Hey @underdogdynasty any chance we can get some mid-season all conference predictions after this week for C-USA?— Austin Rodgers (@AustinFromUNT) October 27, 2018
Now that every team in Conference USA has played at least half of their conference schedule, lets try to make some educated guesses as to who will take home some C-USA awards at season’s end. Below are my picks. I followed the same format C-USA uses to issue out their awards.
C-USA Football All-Conference First Team
Quarterback: Mason Fine
Running back: Devin Singletary, Spencer Brown
Offensive linemen: O’Shea Dugas, Chandler Brewer, Jordan Budwig, Levi Brown
Tight End: Harrison Bryant
Wide Receiver: Jonathan Duhart, Rico Bussey Jr., Tyre Brady
Defensive Linemen: Jaylon Ferguson, Oshane Ximines, Jamell Garcia-Williams, Ty Tyler
Linebacker: Juwan Foggle, E.J. Ejiya, Sage Lewis
Defensive Back: Amik Robertson, Nate Brooks, Kemon Hall, Ky’el Hemby
Kicker: Jose Borregales
Punter: Jack Fox
Kickoff Returner: Kerrith Whyte Jr.
Punt Returner: Maurice Alexander
Most Valuable Player: Brent Stockstill
Offensive Player of the Year: Devin Singletary
Defensive Player of the Year: Jaylon Ferguson
Special Teams Player of the Year: Jose Borregales
Newcomer of the Year: Jovon Durante
Coach of the Year: Butch Davis
- As you can see, I only did the first-team and feel really good about the defense selections. UAB has without a doubt the best defense in the conference, but we might not see too many Blazers appear on the first-team.
- So many deserving players for the Defensive Player of the Year Award. E.J. Ejiya has been spectacular but I think Ferguson will take it.
- The offensive awards given out in C-USA has mainly favored the guys who put up the most stats. I’m not confident Stockstill will actually win the MVP award but he should.
- Coach of the Year typically goes to the guy who overachieves so I went with Butch seeing as how FIU was picked to finish near the bottom of C-USA East, but I could see Bill Clark winning the award if the Blazers finish with 10 wins.
- I don’t have the best eyes for offensive line play so I’m missing one more guy for the team. If there’s some other guys who you feel deserve the first-team honor let me know in the comments section.