Around the Dog Park is our daily round up of G5 football news around the internet. Feel free to submit any news we may have missed in the comments section.
General G5 Football
- The mothership did a study on how well coaches recruit in their second year compared to their first and the results were quite fruitful. UTSA head coach Frank Wilson had the best net positive change as his recruiting class finished 34 spots better than his first one.
- Opening odds for the next Heisman Trophy are out and a few quarterbacks in the G5 made the list.
- New Orleans high school football coaches plan on boycotting LSU which could open up the doors for a ton of G5 football schools in that region who recruit Louisiana. The boycott stems from LSU unceremoniously demoting their running back coach Jabbar Juluke after National Signing Day.
- Memphis position coach David Johnson turns down LSU offer to coach wide receivers.
- SMU has hired former Texas assistant Jeff Traylor as their new associate head coach to the staff.
- SWC Roundup takes a look at how well SMU has been recruiting in the past five years and man, that is a lot of three stars.
- It appears Texas high school football coaches really wanted Major Applewhite to be the new head coach at Houston. Chief among them was former North Texas head coach Todd Dodge.
- Former Marshall quarterback Rakeem Cato will be looking for a new team in the CFL.
- A great story on how FAU running back Gerald Hearns is giving back to his community.
- Bill Connelly continues his Sun Belt preview series. Yesterday it was Texas State’s upstart potential. Today it’s Louisiana-Monroe’s turn as Connelly breaks down the job Matt Viator has done and explains why ULM is a really tough job. Below is an excerpt from the preview.
“ULM is a Hard Job. You're dealing with less money than most FBS teams, you're taking on ruthless non-conference slates to bring in revenue, and you're far enough north that you don't even get to take full advantage of playing in a talent-rich state.”
- In other Texas State news, the search for a new offensive coordinator is on as Brett Elliot is off the SEC.
- Here’s some analysis on new Texas State quarterback Damian Williams who could be the starting quarterback in 2017.
- Athlon ran a sweet profile on Elijah McGuire and where he fits in a loaded draft class of running backs.