Welcome to the first installment of Around the Dog Park where we promote articles that talk about our underdogs. If you happen to come across any interesting content about G5 teams please share in the comments section.
General G5 Talk
- Bill Connelly has released his highly anticipated S&P+ projections for the 2017 football season. Connelly’s projections are based on three factors: recruiting impact, 5-year rankings and returning production.
- In the returning production statistic FIU leads the country with players who had a huge impact with FAU and Tulane also ranking near the top. Conference USA leads every FBS conference when it comes to average production returning.
- For Connelly’s recruiting ranking Memphis and UCF lead the G5.
- The 5-year S&P+ rankings have Boise State as the best G5 team in the last 5 years.
- New York Times ran a piece on how bad National Signing Day is by highlighting Randy Edsall and Lane Kiffin’s practice of taking away scholarships. They might want to take a gander at how SEC teams do things first.
- Campus Insiders believes the most instant impact true freshmen in the G5 resides at UCF as running back Cordarrian Richardson makes their list.
- Wouldn’t be the offseason without conference realignment talk. UConn may be exploring avenues to get it’s basketball program out of the AAC, causing it’s football program to go elsewhere.
- Check out this cool story about Old Dominion’s football players Derek Wilder and Marques Little saving a man who was hurt in a car crash.
- ICYMI we took a look at Bill’s S&P+ projections for C-USA.
- The Sun Belt kicks of Bill Connelly’s 2017 college football preview countdown with Coastal Carolina getting the treatment as the first team to start the series. Bill thinks Coastal has the right man in charge to the lead the transition. Below is an excerpt from the preview.
Moglia really is the perfect coach to lead a charge into FBS. It took him virtually no time to build an FCS stalwart, and his odd-as-hell résumé will help to generate a little bit of extra attention for CCU. And his Chanticleers aren’t that many ifs away from hitting the ground running at a pretty high speed.
- Georgia State has lost two football players from the team ($$).
- The SWC Round-up dives in on Texas State and Sun Belt recruiting.
- ICYMI our Sun Belt writer Adam Luckett wrote a great piece breaking down Bill’s S&P+ projections for the Sun Belt.