Around the Dog Park is our daily round up of G5 football news around the internet. Feel free to submit any news we may have missed in the comments section.
General G5 Football
- Every season football teams either underachieve according to their actual play on the field or overachieve. The mothership explains second-order wins and highlights 9 teams that overachieved (Hi Idaho and Navy) and 9 teams that underachieved.
- College football players can play more than five years if they get special approval from NCAA. Here’s how one player got 7.
- A list of the best transfer quarterbacks in 2017 features 4 players from the G5 and they all appear in the top 10.
- A cool story on what every FBS coach was doing 10 years ago.
- Stephen Gostkowski is now in Memphis’ Hall of Fame.
- The 10 best matchups P5 matchups in the AAC for 2017.
- UCF had the biggest defensive turnaround in the country.
- Marshall defensive ends coach Sean Cronin has left the program to coach for the USF Bulls.
- WKU football players and Mike Sanford supported their community by attending a Special Olympics Basketball Tournament in Bowling Green.
- UTSA already has a few commits in 2018. 247 Sports has more.
- Georgia State continued Bill Connelly’s countdown series over the weekend. Today, it’s Louisiana-Lafayette’s turn and Bill doesn’t love the schedule. Excerpt from the preview below.
“The schedule really is an issue, though. S&P+ is bearish on UL because of the offense anyway, and the road slate is brutal: The Cajuns are given a 5 percent chance against Texas A&M, 6 percent against Ole Miss, 15 against Appalachian State, 23 against Tulsa, and 28 against Arkansas State. They also have to go to South Alabama (41 percent) and Idaho (46).”