The National Football Foundation announced on Wednesday that 170 players and 35 coaches from all level of college football would be on the 2017 Hall of Fame ballot.
As explained by the NFF, "The ballot was emailed this week to the more than 12,000 NFF members and current Hall of Famers whose votes will be tabulated and submitted to the NFF’s Honors Courts, which deliberate and select the class."
The class will be announced on January 6th, 2017 in Tampa, where the College Football Playoff Championship will be held. The induction ceremony will be on December 5th, 2017 in New York City.
There are 977 players and 211 coaches currently in the Hall of Fame.
From the Underdog ranks, here are those on the ballot, including the recently-discussed Eric Dickerson.
2017 PLAYER CANDIDATES
- Freddie Carr, UTEP - Linebacker
- Trevor Cobb, Rice - Running Back
- Eric Dickerson, SMU - Running Back
- Paul Palmer, Temple - Running Back
- Marc Zeno, Tulane - Wide Receiver
- Bill Bergey, Arkansas State - Linebacker
- Joe Campbell, Middle Tennessee State - Running Back
- Bruce Collie, Texas-Arlington - Offensive Tackle
- John Dorsey, Connecticut - Linebacker
- Bernard Ford, Central Florida - Wide Receiver
- Don Griffin, Middle Tennessee State - Safety
- Rene Ingoglia, Massachusetts - Running Back
- Steve McAdoo, Middle Tennessee State - Offensive Lineman
- Ed O’Brien, Central Florida - Placekicker
- Chris Parker, Marshall - Running Back
- Adrian Peterson, Georgia Southern - Running Back
- Charlie Pierce, Central Florida - Punter / Placekicker
- David Rhodes, Central Florida - Wide Receiver
- Terry Schmidt, Ball State - Defensive Back
- Steve Schubert, Massachusetts - Wide Receiver
- Freddie Thomas, Troy - Defensive Back
2017 COACH CANDIDATES
- Billy Jack Murphy - Memphis (1958-71)
- Jim Feix - Western Kentucky (1968-83)
- Maxie Lambright - Louisiana Tech (1967-78)
- Charles Murphy - Middle Tennessee State (1947-68)
- Clarence Stasavich - Lenoir-Rhyne (N.C.) (1946-61), East Carolina (1962-69)