Attrition of a college football roster is an all too familiar part of the game with players quitting, getting kicked off, transferring, and added to the program. Southern Miss is no different, losing five players from the 2015 roster while gaining two players to the roster.
First, let's take a look at the players that have decided for one reason or another to depart the Golden Eagles program.
- Tyler Matthews, Quarterback: Matthews had a case of getting stuck behind talented quarterbacks throughout his college career. The former four-star Kansas native chose to start his career with TCU, but lost out to Trevon Boykin for the starting job. He then transferred to Southern Miss, sitting out the 2014 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Matthews battled for, but eventually lost, the starting job in 2015. Rather than sit as a backup for his senior season, Matthews instead will join New Mexico State as a graduate transfer.
- Johntre’ Goudy Fullback: A walk-on in 2012, Goudy was a bit of a fan favorite for his willingness to do the dirty stuff in the run game. Goudy became an important part of the team, despite seeing more and more limited time on the first. The Meridian, Mississippi native graduated and decided to forgoe his final year of eligibility.
- Adarrius Perkins, Linebacker: A one time Mississippi State signee, Perkins instead went the JUCO route and walked on at Southern Miss in 2014. He was redshirted that season, leaving him eligible for two seasons. Perkins was never able to find his position on the defensive side of the ball. It is not known the reason for Perkins' departure. He could be another that graduated and decided to forgoe his final year of eligibility.
- Illiad Kelly, Defensive Line: Saw action in one game during the 2015 season, making one tackle. Redshirted during his first season at Southern Miss. He never could break into the rotation of a very talented defensive line group. Kelly spent his first two years at Southwest Mississippi CC. He graduated and gave up his final year of eligibility.
- Juan Smith, Wide Receiver: Smith was a 2013 walk-on from Southern Lab High School in Baker, Louisiana. He was redshirted in 2013 as a freshman and did not see any playing time during his redshirt freshman or sophomore seasons. It is not known if he is staying enrolled at Southern Miss or leaving to play elsewhere.
With five players leaving the program, two have been added to the official roster since the end of the 2015 season. Walk-ons Maurice Crumpton and Isaiah Carter are the only two new players on the 2016 roster.
- Maurice Crumpton, Defensive Back: Crumpton started his career at Stillman College. Transferred to Southern Miss. Recently added to the roster as a walk-on. He was with the program in 2015, but was not part of the official team roster last season.
- Isaiah Carter, Linebacker: A walk-on to the team that has recently been added to the 2016 roster. Played his high school football at Covington High School in Sun, Louisiana. He was a former $10,000 scholarship recipient from the Sugar Bowl.