We know you were probably too busy watching the best of the FBS action on Saturday, so we took the time to pick out a few of the best storylines from the FCS level.
- Four FCS teams beat FBS opponents, including #21 Fordham over Army, #15 South Dakota State over Kansas (which may not have been an upset), North Dakota over Wyoming, and Portland State over Washington State.
- After opening the college football season with a stunning win over 4x defending national champion North Dakota State, Bob Stitt and his Montana Grizzlies lost to Cal Poly on a last-second 48-yard field goal, 20-19. Grizz QB Brady Gustafson went 40-64 (!!!) for 353 yards and one touchdown, but threw three interceptions.
- Soon-to-be Sun Belt member #5 Coastal Carolina beat Furman, 38-35. Coastal jumped out to a 21-7 lead but the Paladins kept it close the whole game and scored a TD with a minute left to cut its deficit to three, but were unable to recover the ensuing onside kick. Chanticleers QB Alex Ross threw for 328 yards and two scores.
- #4 Sam Houston State hung with Texas Tech for a half before being outscored 21-0 in the third quarter and ultimately losing 59-45. Senior RB Donavan Williams had 4 TDs for the Bearkats.
- #9 Jacksonville State beat #8 Chattanooga 23-20 in the only game of the weekend between two teams both in the top 25 of the FCS Coaches' Poll.
- #25 Eastern Illinois, which went 5-7 last year and was the only team with a losing record in 2014 to be ranked in the preseason poll, lost to Western Illinois 33-5. Oops.
- Northern Arizona receiver Emmanuel Butler led the Lumberjacks to a 34-28 win over Stephen F. Austin with 216 yards on seven receptions, three of which went for touchdowns.
A couple of interesting games to keep in mind next week include #3 Villanova, which nearly beat UCONN on Saturday, taking on #21 Fordham and Southern Utah, who almost beat Utah State, against #15 South Dakota State.