clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Western Kentucky 41, Louisiana Tech 38.

Brandon Doughty and Western Kentucky came out to a sizzling start as the Hill Toppers rolled up 380 yards of offense in the first half. The Bulldogs kept coming back, but never could quite catch up as WKU held on 41-38.

Joshua Lindsey-USA TODAY Sports

Louisiana Tech won the coin toss and deferred to the second half. Western Kentucky wasted no time jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead. It would have been 21-0 but the Hilltoppers fumbled the ball into the end zone on their second drive. WKU was in control to say the least.

The Bulldogs got on the board with a field goal, but Western Kentucky returned the kickoff for a touchdown to make it 21-3. Louisiana Tech took advantage of the WKU defense having to go right back on the field and marched right down the gridiron for a touchdown.

The Bulldogs finished the half with two touchdowns, one from Trent Taylor and one from Kenneth Dixon. The Bulldogs defense settled in a little and held WKU to two field goals. Jeff Driskel was 18-24 for 213 yards and a touchdown.

Doughty was 18-22 for 287 yards and a score at the half. Leon Allen had 11 carries for 68 yards and a score. Kylen Towner's 98 yard kickoff return was the big difference maker in the first half.

Tech opened up the half where they left off as they marched right down the field yet again. A Kenneth Dixon fumble gave the ball back to WKU and the Hill Toppers got a chance to really put some distance between them and the Bulldogs.

After a Driskel interception on a long pass, Louisiana Tech would ride Kenneth Dixon down the field and the Bulldogs cut it to 27-24. The Hilltoppers extended their lead to 30-24 and the Tech offense started to stall. The Bulldogs punted on fourth and one from the 50 and WKU would score again however this time they added the two point conversion to make it 38-24 Hilltoppers.

Louisiana Tech went for it on fourth down on their next drive and failed to convert. The Bulldogs were in danger of letting the game get away from them in the fourth quarter. The Bulldogs would get the ball back and drove it inside the Hilltoppers 10. Again, the Bulldogs couldn't convert on 4th down and WKU took over at their 8 yard line.

The Bulldogs got the ball back at the WKU 46 with 4:34 left in the game. Tech scored on a Driskel keeper and cut the lead to 38-31. The onside kick attempt was unsuccessful. WKU would tack on a field goal to go up 41-31 with 1:15 to play.

Tech would not go away as Driskel hit Paul Turner in the end zone with :27 left to make it 41-38. The onside kick was again unsuccessful as game dwindled to an end.

Doughty would finish 28-38 For 441 yards and a touchdown. Tyler Higbee had 7 catches for 81 yards.

Driskel finished 28-48 for 357 yards and 2 touchdowns. Kenneth Dixon had 22 carries for 149 yards and 2 scores. Paul Turner and Trent Taylor each had over 100 yards receiving and a touchdown.