What would a recap of our first week of action be without taking a look at who had the best performances in each conference?
Sun Belt - This group had a number of games against inferior competition, so a lot of these are rather puff statistics, but accruing these stats still isn't easy. These are ranked, but very easily could be shuffled in any order.
- Tyler Jones, Texas State - 21-25, 278 yds, 4 TD, plus 6 carries for 51 yds
- Kevin Ellison, Georgia Southern - 9-16, 184 yds, 1 TD, plus 20 carries for 116 yds
- Joel Ruiz, Georgia State - 7 catches, 111 yards, 2 TD
- Jamal Robinson, Louisiana - 5 catches, 112 yards, 2 TD
- Jafus Gaines, Texas State - 4 catches, 119 yards, 2 TD
Conference USA - Yet another group with a lot of lopsided contests, though only one defense played well against remotely formidable competition. I think #1 on the list is an obvious choice.
- Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky - 46-56, 569 yards, 6 TD
- UTSA Defense - 4 INTs, 4 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 4 sacks, 7 TFL
- Jordan Howard, Alabama-Birmingham - 19 carries, 179 yards, 2 TD
- Aaron Jones, UTEP - 22 carries 237 yards 3 TDs
American - This group was most often on the wrong end of a score that left little option for any MVP performances, but s few names still sprung off the stat sheet.
Isaiah Jones, East Carolina - 10 catches 150 yards TD
Marlon Mack, South Florida 24 carries, 276 yards, 4 TD
Keevan Lucas, Tulas - 13 catches, 233 yards, 3 TD, plus 3 carries for 36 yards
See any discrepancies with the order? Anybody we left off entirely? Voice your disagreement (or hell, even agreement) in the comments.