clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

CUSA Championship: 3rd Quarter Update

LA Tech took the opening kick out to the 36 yard line. He Bulldogs weren't able to get anything going and they were forced to punt.

Marshall's leading rusher, Devon Johnson made his first appearance on the next drive with a tough 8 yard run. Then on 3rd and 17, Johnson took a draw right up the middle for a first down. Tech eventually forced a 4th down, but Marshall came up with yet another field goal.

Tech led 17-16 and Carlos Henderson appeared to return the kick all the way to the Marshall 30. A block in the back gave Tech the ball with 10:13 left in the 3rd quarter at their own 6. Three straight runs by Hunter Lee gained 9 yards and Tech again was forced to punt.

Marshall got the ball with 8:20 left in the 3rd at the LA Tech 37. This was the second time Marshall to he ball inside the Tech 40 to start a drive. The Thundering Herd was in position to take a lead for the first time. Marshall ended up going for it on fourth down, but they were unsuccessful.

Tech took over possession at their own 3 and Kenneth Dixon led off with a nine yard run. after a Dixon first down, Tech ended up punting for the fifth straight possession. Marshall took over at their 29 with just over 5 minutes left in the quarter.

Mitch Villamez hit Cato forcing a high pass ha was liked off by Nick Thomason. The Bulldogs were in desperate need o a turnover and the defense answered he call. The offense sputtered again, as Calos Henderson was stopped short on 3rd down forcing a 4th and 3. Trent Taylor had a massive block that seemed to fire up his teammates and it almost sprung Henderson for a first down.

Tech decided to punt instead of going for it it and Marshall took over inside their own 10 yard line.

Paul Turner came up with a huge block on the next Marshall punt and Levander Liggins returned it inside the 20. Kenneth Dixon oak it from there and put Tech up 23-16 with :18 left in the 3rd quarter. Tech missed the extra point.

LA Tech led the time of possession battle 27:20 to 17:39 after three quarters. Johnson left the game after trying to play with an injured shoulder. Marshall clearly struggled on offense without the big running back.